Sunday, August 28, 2005

Blue Hen


There is a handful of very good, contemporary Vietnamese Restaurants on the East Side including Pho Cafe, the highly overrated Gingergrass and now Eagle Rock's very own Blue Hen (1743 Colorado Blvd.). Located in a strip mall on Colorado Blvd., Blue Hen buy their produce from local farmers and feature an all organic menu of chicken and tofu dishes. Don't be fooled by the lack of curb appeal. it's rather nice on the inside.

We started off our meal by ordering a couple of Lime Tonics (sparkling water with freshly squeezed lime juice). It was a lovey summertime drink. If you know me, you know I like a good sandwich, so I tried the Blue Hen Sandwich. Served on a French baguette, this delicious chicken sandwich marinated in fresh herbs and served with a cilantro mayonaise, is awesome! I'm pleased when a sandwich isn't too big either. I hate having to open my mouth really wide to take a bite. This sandwich was perfect. Then, I tried the Blue Hen Salad. "Ah, Crispy Fresh!" I suddenly shouted aloud like a disturbed child. The entire restaurant turned to look at me as I rocked back in forth in an uncontrolable spasm of delight. This chopped cabbage, carrot, peanut & herb concoction with a delicous garlic and shallot dressing was prepared so good, it made me all nutty. We then tried the curry which was also good. But, the one dish I would avoid is the so-called, Grandpa's Porridge. It was a little bland and monotonous. otherwise, you can't go wrong!

So, for those of you out there who are ranting and raving about Gingergrass, swing by Blue Hen for a very different approach to modern Vietnamese cooking.

1 Comments:

At 1:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a nice enough place, but sadly the one word we had for Blue Hen was "bland." Chicken, chicken, more chicken... oh, and tofu. It's Vietnamese food for white people, with about 1/10th of 1% of the flavors you'll get at a Vietnamese restaurant in Westminster, Alhambra, San Gabriel, etc.

If you want authentic Vietnamese food, Blue Hen is NOT the place to go -- you can't even get a bowl of proper phở bò here, because they don't serve beef!

I live in Eagle Rock but if I want real Vietnamese food I'd rather take a drive to Alhambra, frankly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home