Saturday, August 20, 2005

Dave's Chillin' and Grillin'


When I first saw Dave's Chillin' and Grillin' (2152 Colorado Blvd.) I was a bit put off by the look of the place. But, what this joint lacks in atmosphere, it more than makes up for in the quality of the sandwiches.

Dave is a skilled craftsman when it comes to making the perfect five dollar sandwich. He believes in using only the highest quality meats. In fact, he was kind enough to let me sample them while he fashioned me a 6-inch Italian Sub. He topped off the sub with some finely cut, hot peppers which really made it tasty. The sub was simple and delicious. The bread that he used was fresh and really, really white. It reminded me of the kind of sub I would eat as a poor college student in Boston. I would starve myself all day, so that I could chow down on a sub from Beacon Street's BosDeli (just a stone's throw from Kenmore Square). It comes as no surprise that Dave is a Boston transplant himself.

I also tried, what appeared at first, to be a conventional French Dip sandwich. Then I watched Dave spoon a coat of horseradish sauce on it. It was so delicious that I discarded any notion of dipping it in au jus. It just wasn't neccessary. Each bite was a polite tribute to a slab of Lawrie's Prime Rib smothered in fresh horseradish. I will come back and I will get this sandwich again.

Know that Dave only accepts cash. And like nearby Dante's Chicken and Rib's, this place gets zero points for atmosphere. Not a good hang. Order your sandwich and take it home.

3 Comments:

At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes -- great sandwiches and great service.

 
At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best sandwiches ever! We come all the way from West Covina just to eat there.

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Google Search for "BosDeli" brought me here. I used to love that guy's sandwiches. Wonder what was in that dressing. It was killer. I'd pay $100 right now just to have another.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home