Saturday, September 17, 2005

Camilo's Restaurant

Camillo's (2128 Colorado Blvd.) is a reliable, neighborhood joint that is trying very hard to be a sophisticated, high end bistro. The prices are a little high and the presentation of the food is a little on the showy side. I was deceived at first, but then I ordered an appetizer called 'The Tower'. Yes folks, it's called 'The Tower'. It's layer after layer of feta, olives, tomatoes and cucumbers. Basically, it's a Greek salad/upside down cake. The gig was up. This is not A.O.C. This is not West Hollywood. This is Eagle Rock, where the idea of a posh appetizer is something called 'The Tower'.

Now having said that, I like this place. I come here often 'cause I crave the 'Camilo's Chicken'. It's a chicken breast stuffed with nuts and spinach and then covered in a sauce which, to me, tastes like a curry. When I close my eyes and take a bite, I feel like I'm in some Central London pub eating a hearty, working class man's lunch, but when I open my eyes, I'm looking at a decorative dish presented so flamboyantly, I had to look over my shoulder to see if Charlie Palmer was working the hot plate. It's a little confusing. But, that's the charm of Camilo's.

All of the entrees are good. The filet topped with a blue cheese is delicious. The pasta dishes are good. For a brilliant Friday night, I would suggest coming down to the Eagle Rock Farmer's Market. You can wander around for a few minutes and watch the Elvis impersonator (Or rather, watch the people WATCHING the Elvis impersonator.) Then head on over to the Colorado Wine Company for their brilliant Friday night wine tastings. Afterward, you can finish out evening with a nice, long dinner at Camilo's. And between you and me, "The Tower" tastes fucking great after a few glasses of wine.

4 Comments:

At 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I definately enjoyed my experience at this lovely restaurant. In fact, I'll be having my birthday dinner there...I'm so excited. The food is delicious and the environment is very calm and relaxed with a touch of classy.

 
At 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great breakfast, great dinner, easy to reach, no problem parking.
Just a fine place to dine at any time of the day.

 
At 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Camilo makes the finest salads in the world,and suits it to the individual taste.
Susan Sheldon

 
At 11:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this place for weekend brunch and week day lunch, but dinner is overpriced and marginal. I recently had a seafood pasta dish with enough oil in it to power a semi; a dish that glistened with a vile viscousity and reeked havoc on the digestive tracts of those unfortunate enough to devour it. The wine list could use a reality check as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home