Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Original Tommy's


Things have gotten a bit ghetto around here. A few weeks ago, I was raving about Blair's and Cafe Beaujolais. Now, I'm writing about shitholes like Tommy's (1717 Colorado Blvd.) But, I have good reason. I am somewhat intrigued by the curious phenomenon of appreciating genuinely bad food under the influence of many cocktails. Now, this might offend the fans of Tommy's who claim their burgers are great. And to them, I have this one thing to say: I'm very sorry you were born with such bad taste.

It was a typical Monday night. I was at The Chalet and I was pretty well sauced. I must have been ripsnortin' drunk, 'cause I think I bought a round of drinks for everybody in the room...or, at least, those in my immediate vicinity. Anyway, I ended up in the back seat of some lady's BMW with about six other people who I'd just met. I was getting a lift home and while we were heading west on Colorado Blvd., I suddenly demanded that we all go to Tommy's. They insisted I was crazy, but within seconds, I was ordering a double chili cheesburger & fries. It didn't take much to convince a car load of drunk people to order the same exact thing. We consumed our burgers like it was the last supper. I mean this literally, by the way. We re-enacted The Last Supper while we ate our chili cheese burgers. I was Jesus, while my friend Kurt pretended to be Judas. He's a veggie. He's kraaaaazy.

Each bite was magnificent. This was extraordinary, because I've eaten burgers from Tommy's before and thought they'd tasted like ass. But, after a night of boozin', there was something magical about that chili. It was the quintessential pairing to the half bottle of scotch tossing around my stomach. For most people, the perfect drunken food is a greasy taco or perhaps a freezer-burnt Tombstone Pizza. For others, it might be a $300 dinner at Pacific Dining Car. But, for me, it's a crappy ass chili cheese burger from Tommy's. What's your favorite ?

2 Comments:

At 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this blog.

A) I need a not too expensive but can get a decent glass of wine rec near our hood for tonight. Yes, tonight.

B) My drunken food of choice is either a slice of thick Japanese toast topped w/ an over easy egg and Japanese mayo OR the egg rolls from Jack N The Box. I know- I'm an embarrassment to epicurions everywhere.

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger DK said...

DK to the rescue! Let's see. In the immediate area (meaning eagle rock/highland park), there's slim pickins for fine wine unless you go somewhere snazzy like Cafe Beaujolais. The best thing to do would be to pick up a good bottle of wine from Colorado Wine Co. and take to your fave cheap restaurant. Other ideas...In Pasadena, there's E's Wine Bar (115 E. Colorado) and The Bodega Wine Bar (260 E. Colorado) at Paseo Colorado. Osteria Nonni (3219 Glendale Blvd.) in Atwater Village has pretty decent wines by the glass and the food isn't too pricey. Also, I love sitting at the bar in Cafe Stella (3932 W. Sunset Blvd.) The wines are great and you can nosh on a delicious cheese or charcuterie plate

 

Post a Comment

<< Home