Monday, November 07, 2005

Gingergrass

My biggest pet peeve at restaurants is when the waiter or waitress chooses to demonstrate their fine memorization skills by not writing down your order. Occasionally, when it's just the two of us, I expect it but tonight there was a large party of us at Gingergrass (2396 Glendale Blvd.) and the waiter didn't write anything down as we ordered. This shit makes me anxious. Something always gets screwed up.

While we started off our evening with a couple bottles of wine (hooray! Gingergrass finally has a liquor license), I kept waiting for the waiter to come back and double check something. I don't need this kind of pressure when I'm dining out people! Anyway, everything worked out o.k. and the food at Gingergrass was as good as always.

Gingergrass is the creation of Chef Mako Antonishek. You may remember his trendy little place in West Hollywood called Le Colonial. Well, now, he's bringing his fresh, Vietnamese cuisine to us workin' class peeps on the East Side. I've eaten here dozens of times and I am always happy with the Fresh Tofu Summer Rolls, The delicious Shaking Beef, the Lemongrass Chicken, the Bo Sate and yummy noodle soup. I do, however, think this place is slightly overrated. Everyone I know thinks Gingergrass is the shit. It's not. It's o.k. It's always crowded with local hipsters. I saw Chloe Sevigny here one time---You can't get more "happenin'" than that! One good thing about Gingergrass is that after you get totally tanked at the Silverlake Wine Store's evening tasting, you can dodge the dangerous traffic on Glendale Blvd. and walk over to Gingergrass. That's a good night out.

1 Comments:

At 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you review is lame. your personal problems with a waiter not writing down your order and "everything worked out o.k." means, they didn't have to.
If your going to pretend to be a food writer, try to write about the food and not your mental problems

 

Post a Comment

<< Home