Friday, September 30, 2005

Cafe Stella


Last Summer, my wife and I were in Paris. It was late and we were walking around the darkly lit, cobblestone streets of St. Germain. The city felt deserted until we rounded a corner and happened upon a little French bistro that was alive with people. We got ourselves a table, a bottle of wine and enjoyed a fantastic meal in a room teeming with energy and cigarette smoke.

It was such a great Parisian experience and I am reminded of that night everytime I come to Cafe Stella (3932 W. Sunset Blvd.) We have been coming here since it has opened. They have changed for the better, especially when it comes to the service. We used to have to wait an hour for a table (reservation or not!). Thankfully the restaurant has expanded and the food has gotten better and better. In fact, I think I'd have to go out on a limb and profess that Cafe Stella is one my favorite restaurants. The steak au poivre and the moulles frites are world class. The wine selection is great and the ambience is so Parisian it makes me want to light up a cigarette even though I don't smoke.

When we are having a quiet weekend, sometimes we'll head over to Cafe Stella around five thirty and sit up at the bar. We'll split the charcuterie plate and share a delicious bottle of wine and then see where the night takes us.

1 Comments:

At 5:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Had dinner there last night. Great atmosphere and a hip crowd. We were seated in the bar/cafe area. Service was a bit erratic but altogether a nice experience. Salads were delicious--I had the beet salad and my friends had the apple bleu cheese. Entres were not the best. My friend had the halibut and it was kind of dry. I had the pork loin which was low on taste and high on salt. I will go back but can't say it was the best dining experience. Next time, we will make sure to sit outside.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home