Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Houston's

I was having lunch with a friend of mine last week. It was Wednesday, so we were having Martinis at Colombo's. We were discussing the riots in Paris. We debated for about an hour on France's economy, the need for more jobs, etc. Then at some point, the discussion turned to this little food blog of mine. My friend turned to me and he said in all seriousness "You should check out Houston's in Pasadena." I suddenly spit out a mouthful of gin "ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!". The bartender warned us again to be quiet (Earlier, we were gettin' worked up about the war in Iraq). Anyway, I couldn't believe someone would suggest I go to a place like Houston's (320 S. Arroyo Parkway). "Perhaps I should go to Denny's too" I grumbled.

You should know right away that my perception of Houston's was bang out of order. I did a little research (a little google action, mind you) and I arrived at the conclusion that I should give this joint a fair shake. It appears to be a well respected chain restaurant, so we'll give it a go. I have to admit that I was still quite the doubting Thomas when I read that Houston's serves both Prime Rib and Sushi. I mean, really, what the fuck is that?

But, you see, I got it all wrong. Basically, the person who invented Houston's was a fricking mad genius. A visionary, I tell you! He sat down in front of a drawing board and proclaimed "I'm going to make the coolest fucking restaurant ever!" "First," he shouted, "I want all boothes and they should be all red leather." He wrote this on his board with his dry erase marker. "Secondly, the bar has to have a decent single malt scotch selection." He paced around the office and said "You know what? It's my restaurant, and dammit, I want Prime Rib and Sushi."

His dream came true. And so did mine. This place rules. Go ahead, heap your scorn. I can take your jibes. Go on, post them! But, hey, last night, I had a slab of delicious USDA prime rib, with a Lagavulin on the rocks and a spicy tuna roll. That's right! You know you want that too.

4 Comments:

At 3:46 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Are you guys causing ruckus again in the neighborhood? Having to be reprimanded TWICE by the Columbo's bartender...you should be ashamed:)!

I feel the same way you did about Houston's, but I'll give the steak a chance.

As for the sushi, I'd rather sweep all of the floors in the Sears Tower with my eyelashes than order a hamachi from Houston's!!

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger bloggerbrain said...

I have never been able to forgive them for tearing down Bob Burns in Santa Monica and replacing it with a Houston's.

Much in the same way that I learned to stop worrying and love "The Grove" maybe I can give Houston's another chance.

 
At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i enjoy houston's!

wait til you try their yummy french dip sandwich: buttery rolls perfectly toasted with generous amount of sliced prime rib and a cup of horseradish and au jus.

and their fries... mmmmmmmm

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Mintykins said...

I was really mad at Houston's when they took away the Flying Chicken Fingers from the menu and replaced it with sushi (they put the sushi counter where the deep fryer was). So, I still refuse to order the sushi but they make a mean Hawaiian rib eye steak.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home