Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Malo

You must come to Malo (4326 Sunset Blvd.) and sample the Del Maguey Single Village Mezcals from the tequila menu. The San Luis Del Rio, in particular, rivals the finest single malt scotch in the world. Sometimes it pays to order the most expensive thing on the menu. I was astonished. I've actually never even tried a mezcal before. Tequila has always struck me as a little too provincial. Images of spring break lugheads knocking back shots with a wedge of lime come to mind. But, mezcal, a member of the tequila family, has altered my perception forever.

And last night, after having a few Mezcals at the bar, I stumbled into the restaurant to order the beef and pickle tacos. They were quite a treat. In fact, the food here is generally pretty good. Created by Steve Arroyo (of Cobras and Matadors fame), Malo dishes up a contemporary spin on home-cooked mexican food. The portions are small and you don't get served a massive plate of refried greasy beans and dried out rice like you do at el cholo or el chavo or el whatever. You know where I'm talking about. I'm not the biggest fan of Mexican food so I was pleased to see a different approach on the familiar. You sure as hell wouldn't see Rose Petal and Chocolate Grilled Chicken at Acapulco. Next time you want to take the family out for tacos, it doesn't have to be a shit hole like Chi-Chi's. Head on down to Malo and for Christ's sake, order a mezcal. You will thank me.

1 Comments:

At 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This place is just bland, overpriced Mexican food for people who don't like to be around Mexicans.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home