Monday, February 19, 2007

Canele

Canele (3219 Glendale Blvd.) is my new favorite restaurant. Located in the Atwater Village space formerly occupied by Osterio Nonni, Canele is the brain child of former Lucque chef, Corina Weibel.

Her California/Mediterranean cuisine is fantastic. The celery root salad is a must. I've never had celery root before and while I was gobbling down this salad, I was wondering why celery root wasn't more common. It was so crisp and fresh...a divine taste sensation.

My favorite entree is the beef tenderloin served sliced with a pan roasted broccoli rabe and yummy pommes anna. The broccoli is so incredible. It has a sweet, slightly carmelized texture. I love it so much that I have been inspired to try and re-create it in my own kitchen...sadly it doesn't always work out so well. Other highlights from the menu include the pork loin, an herb roasted chicken and a beef bourgignon with buttered noodles. All perfectly simple and executed flawlessly. The portions are perfect too. The entrees leave just enough room in your tummy to order one of their lovely desserts.

I love getting a seat at the counter overlooking the kitchen. You get to watch Corina and her crew in action. Please note that they don't take reservations, so you might have to wait for a table if you go on a weekend. I've never had to wait too long, though, so don't let that deter you.

When you leave, the front of house person gives you an actual 'Canele'. It's a bite sized pastry with a cake like center and a crusty, carmelized crust. Scrumptious!! A perfect way to end a perfect meal.

1 Comments:

At 5:22 PM, Blogger Amy said...

glad your back to writing reviews. My husband and I tried Canele last weekend and loved (no I mean loved loved loved it). I love the open kitchen bistro/soho vibe. The food is fresh and flavorful but nothing is overpowering. They pour decent wine too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home